June 4, 2013
After having some time to regroup, Western-backed propaganda against the Assad government of Syria regarding the alleged (and erroneous) claims of the use of chemical weapons against rebels death squads and civilians has apparently resumed.
As Reuters reports, “United Nations human rights investigators said on Tuesday they had “reasonable grounds” to believe that limited amounts of chemical weapons had been used by government forces in Syria.”
Reuters also states that “In their latest report, based on interviews with victims, medical staff and other witnesses, they said they had received allegations that both Syrian government forces and rebels had used the banned weapons, but that at least four instances related to their use by state forces.”
Paulo Pinheiro, chair of the UN Commission of Inquiry, told a news conference in Geneva, Switzerland “There are reasonable grounds to believe that limited quantities of toxic chemicals weapons were used. It has not been possible, on the evidence available, to determine the precise chemical agents used, their delivery systems or the perpetrator.”
Pinheiro stated that the information he was reporting came from interviews conducted with “victims, refugees who fled some areas, and medical staff.” The interview process, as Reuters reports, involved teams “composed of more than 20 investigators, conducted 430 interviews from January 15 to May 15 among refugees in neighboring countries and by Skype with people still in Syria.”
The UN Commission of Inquiry largely contradicts earlier reports by its own UN investigators into the nature of chemical weapons’ use in Syria.